Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Letter to my dear Dad

You passed on when I wasn't even four
Wished I was older ‘coz then I would have known more
The things about you to tell my own sons,
But we didn’t even know each other; we didn’t even have fun

But over the years, I’ve heard stories of you
Told by my elders but sometimes their tales needed review
Thanks to my brother George your life story he put straight
So now the good man that you were is not open to debate

You worked so hard and didn’t even get to enjoy
The fruits of your labour; to see your children get employed
But worry not dear dad for we have all done well
It’s thanks to you and mom that we have all excelled

I’ve heard you’re a dignified and quiet man
For people with problems a helping hand you’d extend
I’m so proud to know my dad was a kind and generous soul
And I count myself lucky to be part of your enormous fold

Now, your grandchildren would like to know you more
So to my elders I’ll go for your stories to explore
Though short your life, the good you’ve done remain
How I wished I had shared your joys, your sorrows and your pain

A drunk you were not as some elders have us believe
Social drinking after a hard day’s work as a way of relief
The true story is that you were a loving husband and dad
Who would have given mom and us everything that you had

The Lord must have had a reason for taking you away
Maybe it was time for you to rest and our time to repay
Our turn to look after mom and to help each other through
So that we’ll always be united in whatever we do.

~ Liz Sammy-Chin ~

No comments: